Servers, Networks and Storage Virtualization Solutions
Virtualization is the process of creating a software-based (or virtual) representation instead of a physical one. Virtualizations can be applied to servers, applications, storage and networks, and it is the most efficient way to reduce IT costs and to increase efficiency and agility of any size of business.
It is a reality; modern companies are implementing server virtualization using PowerVM to consolidate several workloads in less systems, increasing hardware utilization and reducing costs. IBM PowerVM provides a modern, secure, and scalable environment for server virtualization running applications in AIX (Unix), IBM i (formerly, AS/400 and iSeries) and Linux with the use of advanced RAS (Reliability, Availability and Security) resources and greater performance of the IBM Power Systems servers platform.
Protect your business with hypervisor technology that assures integrity and isolation of essential applications and of E/S.
Scale your virtualized implementations without having to pay the concerning performance penalties.
Provide cloud-built services, by automating the implementation of virtual machines (MVs) and of storage.
- Scale your applications in virtualized environments without having to pay penalties due to performance increases.
- Eliminate the scheduled downtime activating mobility between servers in real time.
- Offer better-quality services improving virtual resource management.
- Activate services with greater savings by consolidating virtualized workloads.
- Reduce cloud-built services activation time by automating the implementation of virtual machines (MVs) and of storage.
- Optimize the use of server resources and storage resources to control costs and drive return on investment (ROI).
It is available to all members of the storage system family IBM SAN Volume Controller, IBM Storwize, IBM FlashSystem V9000, and VersaStack. Also, it is available for x86 servers of any manufacturer, which provides new improvement opportunities for hybrid cloud and private clouds implementations; as well as take more advantage of the industry standard x86 servers using them as active part in enterprise storage systems.
With IBM Spectrum Virtualize, you can:
- Improve the data value: Information storage cost is reduced by increasing system utilization, using data compression, which accelerates applications to obtain better results.
- Increase data security: Helps protect data and allows a full high-availability strategy, including uninterrupted data and applications mobility, and full disaster recovery protection.
- Improve data simplicity: Allows a data strategy independent of the hardware infrastructure selection with integrated functionality and coherent management of the heterogeneous storage.
- Support new opportunities: Allow companies to use the software in x86-based servers, offering new opportunities for hybrid-cloud and private-cloud implementations.
- Enable new services: For service providers, IBM Spectrum Virtualize software allows providing new offerings of disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) to IBM SAN Virtual Control, IBM Storwize and multi-brand heterogeneous storage users.
The security challenge faced by IT organizations in the last instance revolves around the need to protect interactions between users, applications, and data, all in a constantly-changing, each-time-more-dynamic environment. The applications infrastructure evolved from datacenters at the facilities executing a physical infrastructure, to highly dynamic environments of several private and public clouds. On the other hand, applications evolved from monolithic piles of applications to multi-level distributed applications that allow taking advantage of the microservices.
Final users’ environments are no longer desks managed from the company, but they concentrate on mobile devices, own devices of the final user, and internet of things (IoT). To approach these challenges, IT organizations must radically transform the way they protect the infrastructure. Through its numerous product offerings, VMware transforms security providing an omnipresent software layer throughout the datacenter, which generates an agile and secure datacenter protected at all levels.
To transform security with VMware offers advantages, including the following:
- An omnipresent software layer in the terminals and in the applications infrastructure.
- Maximum visibility and context of the interaction between users and applications.
- Adapting of controls and security policies to the users and applications they are protecting.
- Capacity to insert additional third-party security services for greater intelligent protection.
In recent years, the leakage of high-profile data that set at risk confidential data has continued to increase. Although the leakages were achieved in different ways, most of them exposed the fundamental weakness of the perimeter-centered network security model: once the perimeter is violated, it is difficult to avoid threats to move laterally (horizontally) throughout the entire datacenter. These attacks demonstrated that investing in perimeter firewalls is not enough and that it is necessary to invest more to achieve horizontal traffic security (server to server).
Datacenter protection with VMware NSX
For a large number of companies, perimeter firewalls represent the first and last line of defense against undesired intruders. Several companies worldwide, have discovered that this security strategy is a totally-insufficient protection against today’s increasingly sophisticated cyber-attacks. For the datacenter security to be up to the modern business requirements, organizations are using VMware NSX to virtualize their networks and are taking advantage of an innovative datacenter security strategy named micro-segmentation.
VMware allows leveraging next-generation, higher-performance HCI solutions at the lowest cost. Through natively integrated software, the radically simple storage of vSAN™, the market-leading hypervisor of vSphere® and the unified management solution of vCenter Server™ are combined with the largest and deepest set of implementation options of HCI.
Hyper-convergent infrastructure-based solutions allow to:
- Leverage the most recent technologies as they are available, instead of having to wait for prolonged upgrade cycles.
- Eliminate isolated components and reduce the number of hardware infrastructure components.
- Upgrade with little or no downtime and with changes imperceptible to final users.
- Enable detailed, non-disruptive scalability both horizontal and vertical.
- Make implementation and maintenance at ease and in control with an integrated software component.
- Obtain protection that includes inflation (for example, three years after purchasing a product, it continues being current); you only have to do a hardware upgrade.
Hyperconvergence is much more than Hardware and Software:
- Radically simple: VMware supplies a software stack integrated with optimized administration from a unique visualization panel.
- The lowest cost: VMware offers prices that are in function of your growth, so that you only pay for what you need, when you need it.
- The highest performance: VMware guarantees the coherent performance of each application, through the availability of enterprise-class, and fault-tolerance embedded.
- Ready for any application, at any scale: VMware gives versatility in a rapidly changing world, with solutions designed for the current and future applications.
Advantages of Virtualization Solutions
The new era of hybrid cloud environments and cognitive applications is driving a huge growth of data volumes, converting data into the new natural resource. Giving a profitable use to your storage infrastructure and generating opportunities might exceed your budget. IBM Spectrum Storage solves this problem by simplifying IT to unlock the potential of your data.
- Reduction of capital and operating costs.
- Downtime minimization or elimination.
- Increase in IT’s response capacity, agility, efficiency and productivity.
- Sourcing of applications and resources with more speed.
- Business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Simplification of datacenter administration.
- Development of a true software-defined datacenter.